Posted 20 hours ago

Ouma Buttermilk Rusks 500 g

ZTS2023's avatar
Shared by
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nannie first sold her rusks under the brand Uitspan, then Outspan. Eventually they became Ouma Rusks, and she became known as Ouma Nannie. Her husband was well-respected, and became mayor of Molteno for a record-breaking 21 years. After the first bake, the bolletjies are delicately torn from one another. What happens here is critical. Ideally, fine strands of angel hair-like gold must form the sought-after veertjies or feathers of the rusk. The lighter the feathers, the better the baker. From here, those golden strands are set in the drying process, ready to be soaked again and enjoyed as a kind of soft marshmallow-cake combo.

How to make rusks | Woolworths TASTE How to make rusks | Woolworths TASTE

Ouma Rusks has remained Molteno’s most important industry, and the biggest employer for a radius of 150 km. Get the recipe for the spiced rusks. Inspired? Here are more of our favourite rusk recipes: Buttermilk rusks

Rusks are relatively simple to make – the dry ingredients and wet ingredients are combined. As always with flour, don’t overmix or they’ll be tough. Often companies like Bluebird and Smiths stamp their products with short dates for commercial reasons rather then any accurate reflection of actual food quality.

Omar Rusks Profiles | Facebook Omar Rusks Profiles | Facebook

This cookie is set by Addthis. This is a geolocation cookie to understand where the users sharing the information are located. Since 1939, Ouma Rusks have been a trusted brand and one that seems like part of the family. Buttermilk was the original flavour of ‘homemade’ rusks which has been loved for generations.There’s a 99.8% chance that this isn’t for you. Only 0.2% of our readers have responded to this call for action. The equation is quite simple: the more members we have, the more reporting and investigations we can do, and the greater the impact on the country. Campbell, James (19 October 1999). The Americanization of South Africa (PDF) (Thesis). University of the Witwatersrand. p.16 . Retrieved 18 October 2016.

Ouma Rusks Legend – KAROO DIARY, South Africa - SAPeople Ouma Rusks Legend – KAROO DIARY, South Africa - SAPeople

In the Winelands regions, the variation was called mosbeskuit – a rusk made via a fermentation process with grape must to produce long strands of buttery fingers that are ultra-absorbent when dunked. For my family, rusks have also meant a last little comfort. Our Ouma Heilie Marais passed away from Covid-19 late last year, but her world-best buttermilk rusks still fill our tins. She always baked a VOC shipment’s worth and now we get to experience our Ouma for a little longer, even in her absence. Morning coffee has never been more sacred.And every day, the fresh Stormberg air is scented with the smells of grandma’s baking, along with aniseed, caramel, marmalade and buttermilk.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment